Started on: 04-10-2003 01:55 AM
Replies: 31
Last post by: Monza76 on 07-10-2003 11:00 PM
crzyone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Well, since this seems to be the thing to do nowadays I'm going to show you my 4.9 conversion.

My Fresh 4.9, I rebuilt it and replaced all the gaskets and waterpump.

I bought a 86SE sight unseen so I could use its engine cradle and transmission before I tore into my 87GT. I drove 5 hours to pick up the car which turned out to be an 86 coupe with SE written on the side. It was an honest mistake, I can understand the confusion.

Today I removed the engine cradle from the coupe, it wasn't hard but definitly time consuming. I'm not sure but I may be the first person to use farm machinery to do so

cont...

------------------

87GT 4.9 in progress!

[This message has been edited by crzyone (edited 04-28-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

cont..

------------------

87GT 4.9 in progress!

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

crzyone

3571 posts
Member since Dec 2000

Tomorrow I'll be taking the 4cyl engine off the cradle. I'll be posting more pics as soon as I get some more time off work.

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
looking good u will probly have yours running before me i am still wating on my fly wheel and clutch and heads to be done

keep up the pics and good work

------------------

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
I hope to have it done by June. I live 2 hours away from where I'm doing the conversion so I can't work on it in my spare time, just days off. I'm going to Vegas the last week of April so that will put things on hold.

The only thing that I think will suck is converting my auto 87 into a 5 speed isuzu. Anyone have experience with this? Seems like it won't be fun running the hydraulic lines.

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
This is off topic but in one of those picture is that an out-house in the back? Just curious.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (Rotrex Supercharger)
Rebuilding Engine! Check Website under FIERO RESURRECTION!
WWW.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

cccharlie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post
On topic: Are you planning to do your own wiring and passkey defeat, or are you using a harness from the fiero factory? I'd love to do this swap eventually - what made you decide on the Isuzu 5 spd?

Off topic: Are those 15" Sunfire wheels? Are they for sale?

Way off topic: I bought some parts for my old MR2 from a gentleman with a tractor - dont ever lift by the strut tower brace!!!!!

------------------
88 4cyl auto Fiero, AC, sunroof
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick

BOILERMAKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BOILERMAKERSend a Private Message to BOILERMAKERDirect Link to This Post
Nice tractor.

------------------

Mike

Krashdavus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KrashdavusSend a Private Message to KrashdavusDirect Link to This Post
Great pics. I love the usage of Farm Equipment - I think that's how most NASCAR guys started out in the 50's. Almost nostalgic. Good luck on the swap. 4.9L's were great in Caddys, it's even going to be nicer in your ride.
87FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
You might want to research here on the forum in past topics. From what I have read the 5 speed isuzu will not hold up to the torque and power of a V8. A 5 speed Getrag would be better for a manual or just use your auto tranny from your 87. Just passing along some knowledge.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87FieroGT:

You might want to research here on the forum in past topics. From what I have read the 5 speed isuzu will not hold up to the torque and power of a V8. A 5 speed Getrag would be better for a manual or just use your auto tranny from your 87. Just passing along some knowledge.

An Izuzu can't handle V8 power? That's only true if you're taking it to the extreme. The Caddy 4.9 has a good amount of torque, but not exactly gobs of HP - and the Izuzu has been used in numerous SBC (Archie) installs without problem... don't worry about it unless you're planning on gobs more power than the 4.9 was designed for.

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
We use an isuzu trans behind our 3.4TDC w/ ZEX and drag radials. Been runnning Goodyear canted lever racing slicks on road courses and autoX without tranny failure for 7 years. But to be fair it does have a quaffie LSD in it too.

Me personally, I would keep the car an auto trans and use a 4T60e.

Steven

------------------
88 Fiero coupe 2.5 5 speed, Custom IHI RHB6 turbo equipped, gutted and track abused
88 Coupe Project "F-88" has begun....Classified TOP SECRET **your gonna love this**
88 Fiero Coupe 2.5/auto Not sure what I am going to do to this one!
87 Fiero GT 14.9/ 89mph **4.9 PFI swap in progress**
87 Fiero Coupe 91k miles
86 Fiero SE
88 Mazda RX-7 'vert SBC v8 383/T-5
Always have engines, fiero parts and accessories for sale. Custom engine swaps and chassis modifications are available.

ED's85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ED's85GTSend a Private Message to ED's85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Me personally, I would keep the car an auto trans and use a 4T60e.

Steven

Yep, what Steven said,

I'm running the 4.9 with the 4t60e, because
i thought that it would be easier (wiring wise) to use the auto and also cheaper.
The only "beef" that i have with the 4t60e is that it shifts too softly.

Ed

I meant to say that the auto wiring would be easier than the stick if you are running the PFI. If you are going to run a carb (no ECM)
then the stick would be easier yet.

[This message has been edited by ED's85GT (edited 04-10-2003).]

FieroJames

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamesSend a Private Message to FieroJamesDirect Link to This Post
WOW! AWESOME!
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Well here is what we did today. We seperated the engine from the transmission and found out what was knocking...

And a closeup, you can see the metal debris inside the crank case.

------------------

87GT 4.9 in progress!

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

crzyone

3571 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Engine cradle is now on saw horses and the 4.9 is ready to go onto it. Just need to buy a new clutch and have my cavalier flywheel machined.

and a picture of what we pulled out from the hole in the block. Nice Connecting rod!

Free to good home lol!

------------------

87GT 4.9 in progress!

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

crzyone

3571 posts
Member since Dec 2000
I'm going with the Isuzu 5 speed because of its tall gearing. Its more than strong enough if it can hold up to a 400hp small block chevrolet!

Not sure what clutch I'm going to go with, I don't think I'll use centerforce just from reading how much they have been failing lately.

I'm selling all my fuel injection accessories, I've decided to go carb. I have a reman Rochester carb on order from a 76 chevrolet 350 pre-emmissions. It shoud work just fine. I will be ordering my NX nitrous system as well. I will throw a 75-100 shot on it, just incase I find someone faster than I am on the street.. er I mean track

Well I'm done working on it for awhile, going home and I should start back on it in a week or so, hope this is informative.

------------------

87GT 4.9 in progress!

Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
Crzyone, I'm going to have to really keep an eye on this one, I'm really contemplating if it would be worth it to rebuild the tired 2.5, I'm really thinkin that it would only be just a bit more to install a 4.9. You have to take me for a ride when it's all said and done!

Right on, good choice!

Edit: I forgot to add that my car also has a five spd Izuzu as well... it looks pretty similar to the 86' you bought there...

GO LEAFS GO!

Leafy

------------------
86' Fiero 2M4, 5spd, A work in progress, but the potential is there!

[This message has been edited by Leafy (edited 04-10-2003).]

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Leafy:

You have to take me for a ride when it's all said and done!

You betcha. I'll be going to meetings this year so I'll see you there.

And yes, that is an outhouse lol!

[This message has been edited by crzyone (edited 04-10-2003).]

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
Thats some awesome work there. It's going to be the best move of your life...great engine...now if only someone could take away the iron heads and floating sleeves these engines would be unstoppable!

Great Work!

Steve-0

------------------

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2003 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure, but I thought only 84 4 cyl engines had the "tech 4" decal on the top of the engine? If thats the case it would explain the rod through the block. When I took this engine out alot of bolts were missing, thought this might not be the original motor.

------------------

87GT 4.9 in progress!

PFF
System Bot
MODIFIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MODIFIEClick Here to visit MODIFIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to MODIFIEDirect Link to This Post
THis must be a commen place for a 2.5 to throw a rod i have had 2 of them throw the rod in the same place.

check out how thin the walls are on the 2.5 block is very thin.

P.S. Good luck on you caddy build

------------------

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2003 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Well I have some updaes on my progress
I have the engine mounted to the transmission. It really is a very nice fit, almost like a V-8 was meant to rest on there.

you can see the clearance of the crank pully, there is quite a bit of room. I still need to level the engine and take measurements for engine mounts.

You can see here where I need to notch the bellhousing for the cadillac starter. Again, lots of room on the side of the engine.
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2003 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

crzyone

3571 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Here you can see where the engine meets the 5 speed Isuzu. This was a surprisingly good fit.

Here is the carbourator I bought for my swap. Its going to flow about 350-400cfm, should be enough for this engine (crossing fingers)

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2003 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

crzyone

3571 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Here is the distributor I had to make. It has mechanical advance from an olds engine. For anyone who is going with a carbed 4.9 you should know you can not use the 4.9s distributor. I found this out when I had the distributor almost built. You must go with an earlier 4.1 or 4.5 distributor.

as you can see here the 4.9s housing is too "deep" for the olds rotor and it will bottom out and never rotate

Here is another look at the 4.9 shaft vs the olds shaft. There is a definite difference. The earlier cadillac shaft is the same length as the olds.

Thats all I got done these days off. Its time consuming when I have to drive 40 minutes to Edmonton to pick up parts. Its comming together nicely, hope to have more pictures to post on my next days off.

------------------

87GT 4.9 in progress!

Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2003 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
Crzy, you have a P.M.

Thanx,
Sean

------------------
86' Fiero 2M4, 5 spd, A work in progress, want a caddy 4.9 V8

houlster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for houlsterSend a Private Message to houlsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:
My Fresh 4.9, I rebuilt it and replaced all the gaskets and waterpump.

Did you find all the seals and gaskets in a kit somewhere, or have to buy separately? Do you happen to have a source and/or parts list for the seals?

thanks
--Dan

Cadillac Jack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cadillac JackSend a Private Message to Cadillac JackDirect Link to This Post
Thought I saw Red Green peeping out from around the outhouse! Good use of the farm machinery!
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2003 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by houlster:

Did you find all the seals and gaskets in a kit somewhere, or have to buy separately? Do you happen to have a source and/or parts list for the seals?

thanks
--Dan

I actually got a gasket kit from Canadian tire. Its a felpro kit but it is missing some key gaskets. The kit cost me $300 Canadian but the extra oil pan gasket and timing cover cost an additional $100 from GM.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I has no idea anyone was still replying to this thread.

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2003 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
i somehow doubt that carb will flow to the engine's needs, will it runs with t? Sure it will, but it will probably nock the power down to that of a 4.5 or less, should have gotten a 500 CMFer

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2003 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Dude. Bubbajoe and Stevenrossi are running the same carb, they have no issues with lack of power. Joe claims equal or better acceleration than PFI. This is what he claims, don't start flaming me.

At 5000rpm this engine needs 390CFM. I don't see how its not going to flow enough air.

This carb is off of a chevy 350, has almost a liter more displacement. I'm sure it'll do just fine.

I'm looking for bottom end grunt, I have a wet nitrous kit to help out the top end.

For those of you that want a 500cfm rochester they came off of large trucks with 454s. Nice big 2 barrel.

[This message has been edited by crzyone (edited 07-10-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
Monza76

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2003 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Back in 1976 I new a guy who put a 650cfm Holley on his 4.3L Chevy Monza, I put a 450cfm spreadbore Holley on mine. His was hopelessly overcarburetted, bogged off the line all the time, mine was fine, and quicker, since the small carb left me with lots of low end torque. The old way was to put on a big carb and lots of cam for the big power numbers, fine for an SBC or a BBC but for this little Caddy, you only have about 4500 usable rpm (5000 is pushing it) and there are few performance parts so go for the fat torque curve by using a smaller carb. As already pointed out, at redline the engine only needs 390cfm so the carb is good throughout the usefull rev range.

BTW crzyone I am hoping to follow your example next year.

Ira

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock