Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  NEW Street Dreams lowering knuckles, multi-pattern hubs and modular brakes (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
NEW Street Dreams lowering knuckles, multi-pattern hubs and modular brakes by Will
Started on: 10-08-2003 06:48 AM
Replies: 227
Last post by: cancerkazoo on 06-30-2005 12:33 PM
VISCERAL

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
Got them from Autozone, perfectly stock calipers. Dunno where you heard that from. Never had a problen installing them or using them. I love the power, but it just weighs too much, affected the fieros handling. Front end feels like a fat pig, unresponsive, and I've got drop spindles, poly, Koni's, 17 inch wheels and low profile tires. Needs to go on a diet, didnt feel this way before the brake swap. Drop spindles didnt help either with the weight, heavy duty but heavy as hell.
IP: Logged
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Any update on things? Particularly interested in things for the 88s, obviously, but updates in general are always good.

Bryce
88 GT

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2004 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I've got my set of knuckles and hubs and they're beautiful, but I've been unable to do anything with them since my car's in VA and I'm in FL. All my time has been eaten up by continuing edumacation and work.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
On a related suspension topic, someone mentioned on the 88 cradles a setup of relocating and rewelding the pivot points for the trailing arms to make them more anti squat. I'm assuming it would look like this / in terms of a new bracket. I am about to get an 88 cradle for my 87 and would like to try this before installing it. Thanks
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Will I still have those spindles in the box on my porch addressed and waiting to be shipped. I'll get around to dropping that box off at the PO one of these days...
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2004 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!
It's nice to see I'm not the only one who does things when I get around to them.
fiero-iwan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2004 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero-iwanSend a Private Message to fiero-iwanDirect Link to This Post
Will

You can also count me in for the 88 version. Any progress on these of late?

Also Will if you get to where your 88 fiero is PLEASE remember to take the pictures of your 88 front swap to earlier car!
I'm sitting here with a reconditioned 88 front suspension ready to install on mij 86gt, if only I knew how...

Thanks
Iwan

[This message has been edited by fiero-iwan (edited 05-16-2004).]

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2004 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Just curious how things are going...

Bryce
88 GT

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2004 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I've had the knuckles and hubs for a while, but I haven't been able to do anything with them.

They are VERY nice pieces, fully machined and quite a bit lighter than the stock knuckle and hub, despite being sgnificantly beefier.

Couple of pics:

Had to cut the quality down a bit on this one for PIP to like it:

------------------

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2004 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by VISCERAL:

On a related suspension topic, someone mentioned on the 88 cradles a setup of relocating and rewelding the pivot points for the trailing arms to make them more anti squat. I'm assuming it would look like this / in terms of a new bracket. I am about to get an 88 cradle for my 87 and would like to try this before installing it. Thanks

It can be done, but it requires asking a question about the car's use. Increasing anti-squat will make the car harder to handle around corners. So do you do more drag racing or more turning?
The mod would be to raise the front of the trailing arm.

------------------

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2004 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
They do look quite beefy, but obviously that's pretty much a requisite since they're aluminum and not steel/iron. What are you still waiting on to assemble them Will? As I understand they use stock control arms and tie rods, so all that's left is brakes and bearings. I can't remember what bearings these are supposed to use, it's been so long since I read all the related thread information. I do recall you had a couple hickups in your brake design plans, is that the holdup now? I'm really looking forward to seeing this fully assembled and "debugged"...hopefully us 88 owners can get them to make something for us, as I don't really want to start from scratch if this setup is worked out and just needs adapted to our stuff. There's not even any good front hubs available for us, let alone highly improved setups!

Bryce
88 GT

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2004 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The hold up is that I'm in FL and the car's in VA. I'm moving back to VA before the end of this month, though. I'll be able to install them shortly thereafter. I probably ought to go ahead and put the hubs on the knuckles....

Believe me, I'd like to see them done as well.

They should accept Archie's 11" brakes without any problems, and WCF brake kits with the fabrication of a few small, easy to make spacers.

I'm going to be designing a bracket for a similar upgrade... I don't know for sure if I'm going to be using the Camaro caliper yet or not.

The hubs use '88-'92 Z28 wheel bearings.

------------------

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2004 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Just curious if any progress has been made. I know the feeling Will...I haven't lived in the same state for longer than six months for four years now, while my project car is always where I'm not. It sure makes it tough to get stuff done!

Bryce
88 GT

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2004 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I've drawn up the bearing race installation tool. I just have to make it, install the races, grease the bearings and assemble everything.

Then I need to figure out which caliper I'm going to use...

------------------

VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2004 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
Bubbajoexxx's 12" brakes with aluminum corvette calipers, and how about some Baer brake rotors. Reeeeaallll Purty! His plans are available for free. Bless his heart. Contact Shoprat45? to possibly make a set for you.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Making the brackets isn't the issue.
That particular upgrade involves either changing to the 5x4.75" bolt pattern or drilling the 5x100 bolt pattern into the Corvette rotors. Modifying a wear part like a brake rotor is not the way I do things, and I'm looking for a setup to work with the 5x100 bolt circle, as I already know what I want to do with the other three bolt circles in the hubs.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 08-05-2004).]

VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2004 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
I have heard the subaru legacy and wrx's have good size rotors 12" and up and the same bolt pattern. Good luck.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2004 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
same bolt pattern - i love my subaru brakes - will have to take some measurements from my legacy gt brakes
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2004 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I think the older Imprezas were 5x100, but I'm pretty sure that they switched over to 5x4.5" at some point. I looked at SVX rotors and they were 5x4.5".

EDIT: I looked it up and the WRX's DO have a 5x100 pattern: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/impreza2003.html
The fronts are 11.4" vented rotors... Interesting.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 08-06-2004).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2004 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
svx is older - and it was an oddball on many fronts
the currect wrx's are 5x100

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 08-06-2004).]

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2004 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I think the older Imprezas were 5x100, but I'm pretty sure that they switched over to 5x4.5" at some point. I looked at SVX rotors and they were 5x4.5".

EDIT: I looked it up and the WRX's DO have a 5x100 pattern: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/impreza2003.html
The fronts are 11.4" vented rotors... Interesting.

If you really wanted to go nuts you could get STi front rotors, which go up to 326 mm (12.8"). The cool thing about the WRX rotors is there are several companies that make direct replacement two piece rotor kits if you are happy with the setup and want to go all out.

Bryce
88 GT

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2004 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I think that the increase in diameter from 11.25" to 11.4" will deal with the issues I had with using the 3rd Gen Camaro caliper with the 11.25" rotors. A 12.8" rotor would just take a longer bracket and would be pretty easy to make from the bracket for the 11.4" rotor.

------------------

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I checked the Subaru rotor. It would be perfect in all respects EXCEPT that the ID of the mounting area is smaller than even the stock Fiero hub. My 4 pattern hubs are noticeably larger than stock to accomodate the 5x4.75 pattern. I don't think that turning Fiero front hubs down far enough to fit in the Subaru rotor would be a good idea, as they are already prone to cracking when new lug studs are installed.

------------------

VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
Then how about contacting Baer or Wilwood, etc and have them take the Corvette 12" 88-96 eradispeed rotors but have them build them with the 5x100 rotor hat. And use bubbjoxxx's brackets I have layin around here. With some nice aluminum Corvette calipers, everything is peachy keen.
How much will the hub and spindle be? 5x100 or can I choose another bolt pattern for the front and is there a hub setup to match the rear? Does he give discounts to previous drop spindle customers? Why is the sky Blue.....?

------------------

Patrick Szewczyk
1987 Fiero GT 3800SCII in process!!, getrag, Spec Stage 3 clutch, Koni's all around, coilovers in the back, Held anti-bumpsteer, lowered 2" -dropped spindles-front, poly bushings: control arms-sway bars-cradle-dogbone, Bill Levin's awesome lowering engine and trannt mounts, rear sway bar, pioneer cd player, Rodney Dickman's short shifter, bushings, etc..., 12" Corvette calipers and rotors- w/Ebrake, k&n filter, 3800SCII that's goin in soon, Fastfiero's pcm-low alt mount-tstat-prj fuel rails,w/ 3.4 pulley, total-seal piston rings, intercooler, comp cams vs cam, ported and matched heads and intake, Performance3800 3" collector headers, stainless 3" exhaust+flowmaster, + 17x7.5 MiM Venezias wheels + 225/45/17 and 235/40/17's.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

I checked the Subaru rotor. It would be perfect in all respects EXCEPT that the ID of the mounting area is smaller than even the stock Fiero hub. My 4 pattern hubs are noticeably larger than stock to accomodate the 5x4.75 pattern. I don't think that turning Fiero front hubs down far enough to fit in the Subaru rotor would be a good idea, as they are already prone to cracking when new lug studs are installed.

what about turning the hubs (non-stock fiero) down and sticking with a 5x100 pattern?

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
So how many people got these setups for the 84-87 Will? Are you the only one still? I thought we would have heard more about these things by now....it seems like there *were* plenty of people interested (just as many 88 owners as earlier owners, it sounds like).

I have a growing personal interest in some 88 stuff being available, as my hubs are shot, I'm sick of the Fiero brakes, and I'll be rebuilding my car before next summer. I don't see anybody else championing a movement for this stuff being made for 88s, so I may have to step up to the plate one of these days. I think it's about time for me to give something back one of these days.

Bryce
88 GT

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Anybody home?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, been out of town for the weekend.
As I get closer to getting the Northstar back on the road, I'll get closer to doing something with these knuckles.

------------------
Punch the gas and feel the back step sideways; rip off a powershift and hear the tires punished by torque; downshift, lift off and feel the engine braking that comes only from big cubes, listen to the pop and gurgle. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none that are this cool.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Just got done making the bearing race installation/removal tool:

------------------
Punch the gas and feel the back step sideways; rip off a powershift and hear the tires punished by torque; downshift, lift off and feel the engine braking that comes only from big cubes, listen to the pop and gurgle. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none that are this cool.

VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
Strong like Bull!!
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
The Subaru STi uses a different bolt pattern. It is 5x114.3mm. You would need to use regular WRX parts.

Matt

PFF
System Bot
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Pretty interesting here! I'm looking at replacing my suspension on my 88 Formula based 355 kit with a complete wide track suspension. One of the things I have to consider is the fact that I am using 5x4.75 Corvette wheels on the car. This may be just what I need... Too bad I don't understand all this suspension stuff so I'd know for sure! haha

------------------

Fiero-Performance.com

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Do you have wheel spacers/adapters currently? That would affect things...

------------------

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2004 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Installation tool and races:

Outer race installation:

Inner race installation:

If you do something dumb and install the outer race before you install the inner race, you can get it back out like this:

What the end of the spindle looks like with bearings on it:

Dangit... shoulda zoomed in more. Bloody fish eye.
The keyed washer that goes between the bearing and the adjuster nut was not included with my hardware package. It is Dorman P/N 618-005. Everything else was included.

------------------

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post09-10-2004 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
That really does look fantastic.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2004 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Just wait 'til I get 13.5" C6 rotors on it...

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving and American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Nashco

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2004 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Just wait 'til I get 13.5" C6 rotors on it...

How long?

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2004 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Forever and a day...
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000
Got the washers today. Assembled with washer and adjuster nut:

Comparison of Fiero nut, washer, outer bearing, inner bearing and seal (TOP)
Vs. Camaro nut, washer, outer bearing, inner bearing and seal (BOTTOM)
The specific application is '88-'92 Camaro Z28 front wheel bearings (A-3 outers, A-6 inners, 8871 seal)

This is what the ride height difference is going to be... damn, my car's going to be low...

As pictured, the stock Fiero knuckle and hub weigh 11 pounds, 5 ounces.

The Street Dreams assembly weighs 7 pounds, 6 ounces.
That's nearly 4 pounds of unsprung weight off each front corner.
I bet with some FEA we could take a couple more pounds out of the knuckle and hub... I'm sure there's lots of unnecessary metal in there... Howard?

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving and American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2004 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000
Oh yeah...

The dust cap is Motormite (from their HELP! product line) P/N 13973. It's used on miscellaneous Ford applications. It requires the same bore ID as the Camaro outer bearing (1 31/32"), yet has a small enough lip that it will fit through the relatively small rotor pilot diameter of the LeBaron rotors commonly used on Fieros. I couldn't have asked for a cap that fit my requirements better.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 09-11-2004).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock