3.4 DOHC Dyno run results by bluefiero
Started on: 04-10-2007 04:03 PM
Replies: 96
Last post by: fieromadman on 07-15-2008 06:38 AM
bluefiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroDirect Link to This Post
Just got back from Sound Performance in Carol Stream, Illinois. I put my 88 formula with a 3.4 DOHC motor on their Mustang Dyno. The motor has custom cams in it. The results were to the wheels were...

216 HP
211 Torque

What are some of your 3.4 DOHC numbers?

I will get pictures of the dyno run later when I have a chance to copy them at home.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Nice numbers!
FieroWannaBe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
those numbers are nice, mind indulging us on the camshaft specs? What are you running for exhuast?

------------------
PROJECT 1986 GT Stormbringer

bluefiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroDirect Link to This Post

Here are pics as promised. I will get back to you on the cam specs. I purchased the car from someone else, and have yet to find out about the specs. The exhaust is stock manifolds into 2.5" piping out to two "red hot" circular mufflers I bought off of ebay.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Those are awesome numbers for the engine. Way higher then they are supposed to be.

Average at the wheels is typically 175-185HP ish.

Please, when you find out what work the engine has, be a pal and share
FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeDirect Link to This Post
Also if you could give us more info on the engine like what year, has it been rebuilt etc.

Nice numbers by the way.
Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
Awesome numbers...and on a Mustang dyno too! Now it's time to BOOST!

------------------
2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
86 Fiero SE 2M6 3.1 5 speed

www.purevolume.com/seanrainey

fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Nice numbers!

------------------

--180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, chip--
--Check out the Fiero Kingdom!--

bluefiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroDirect Link to This Post
The engine is a 95 crate motor with about 14,000 miles on it now. It has all stock internals with custom ground cams (cam specs are secret ), 96-97 intake manifold swap, a northstar throttle body, an underdrive pulley, power steering and A/C delete pullies, 180* t-stat, ngk plugs, poly mounts from WCF, custom exhaust, spec stage 2+ clutch, and a custom chip on the 94-95 (OBD1.5) by sinister performance.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bluefiero:

The engine is a 95 crate motor with about 14,000 miles on it now. It has all stock internals with custom ground cams (cam specs are secret ), 96-97 intake manifold swap, a northstar throttle body, an underdrive pulley, power steering and A/C delete pullies, 180* t-stat, ngk plugs, poly mounts from WCF, custom exhaust, spec stage 2+ clutch, and a custom chip on the 94-95 (OBD1.5) by sinister performance.

The only reason the cam specs are "secret" is beacuse you don't know what they are. A few people on the board, including myself do know what they are and where to get them, so don't act like you're all special because you have custom cams in an engine you didn't build, or install.

Eric

------------------

Used is such a harsh term. . . I perfer "Previously obsessed over"
88 base coupe: "She thinks my tractor's sexy..... it really turns 'er on"
"I drive Sideways"

Coming, Winter 2007: "Project Fourty-Nine-Deuce"

Said by Crazy Dave "You can take Steve out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of Steve."

(\__/)
(='.'=) <<<< Cute Bunny.
(")_(")
sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
I'm no expert but isn't the air/fuel ratio getting lean at high RPM/'s @ ~15.5;1. Maybe there's more power to be had with more chip work, higher fuel pressure bigger injectors?
PFF
System Bot
bluefiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racingman24:

The only reason the cam specs are "secret" is beacuse you don't know what they are. A few people on the board, including myself do know what they are and where to get them, so don't act like you're all special because you have custom cams in an engine you didn't build, or install.

Eric

Way to be a jerk, but I actually do know the specs of the cams now.

[This message has been edited by bluefiero (edited 04-10-2007).]

Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post04-11-2007 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Eric

Thank god you 4.9 boys know everything about the 3.4 TDC, we'd be lost without you Eric. Grow up.

Awesome numbers, and to the wheels. Finish tweaking and then put boost on it like Leafy suggested. Thank you for sharing!
bluefiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sanderson:

I'm no expert but isn't the air/fuel ratio getting lean at high RPM/'s @ ~15.5;1. Maybe there's more power to be had with more chip work, higher fuel pressure bigger injectors?

I have Ryan from Sinister performance doing a chip for me (he does great work). I am working with him on getting some good data and "experiments" to tune it better. It is running too lean at higher rpms. Once I get it tuned better I will be putting it back on a dyno.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Those are great numbers and on a Dynojet should be even higher. Those cams are doing the job. But it is scary lean up high. I would address that very soon and avoid pulling up there until so.

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I'm surprised you didn't toast a piston.

DO NOT drive it hard until you get that fuel curve fixed!
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Yes, nice numbers indeed. I know Lloyd of FastFieros specializes in 3800sc installs, who is the leader in 3.4tdc installs if you don't want to do it yourself?

Rob
Fierointeriors@juno.com
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post

(\__/)
(='.'=) <<<< Cute Bunny.
(")_(")

Wow what a douche

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E. In the middle of cam/port, new interior, paint and waiting on new wheels. Itll blow you away!!
http://hometown.aol.com/ptfiero/index.html
build
http://dtcc.cz28.com/Customer/LT1Fiero/index.htm

justa6

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post

Eric

is this the car i THINK it is? if so... i gotta agree you Eric.

nice numbers though!

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5-speed.
99 CSVT 5-speed.

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
man, i just want some beter cams in my car, no need to be all secret society on me.
flames4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

man, i just want some beter cams in my car, no need to be all secret society on me.

^agreed, where would the world be if nobody shared their ideas? What if noone shared info on SBC cam grinds? What if Tomas Edison decided to keep all his inventions secret just to feel powerful saying that he has secrets that could change the world? dude, make the world a better place and spill the beans. Unless it is some big secret that you literally cant tell us because of privacy issues, then at least fill us in on why you cant tell us where to get good cams or what grind they are. Thank you.

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30, Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.93@101mph as it is on the street.
... ... !
350ci 400hp/tq SBC, 4 bolt main
Spec Stage 3, Nitrous Oxide, many extras.
87 GT 5-speed Getrag, power everything.

PFF
System Bot
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
Maybe out of respect for the people that did the work to get the cams you should all stop asking. We just want to have something different, is that too much to ask for? You can get custom cams made too. It HAS been mentioned before who is willing to do the grinds for our engines.

EDIT TO ADD: If everyone copied our specs, what headway would we be making when it comes to knowing what really works best with this engine?

[This message has been edited by fieromadman (edited 04-11-2007).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Is this engine in a red 1988 Formula?
bluefiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromadman:

Maybe out of respect for the people that did the work to get the cams you should all stop asking. We just want to have something different, is that too much to ask for? You can get custom cams made too. It HAS been mentioned before who is willing to do the grinds for our engines.

EDIT TO ADD: If everyone copied our specs, what headway would we be making when it comes to knowing what really works best with this engine?

If no one knows what your specs are, how do we know we're not doing the same work over again? Every little bit of information helps us work to the ultimate goal of the best possible cam specs.
Puckhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PuckheadSend a Private Message to PuckheadDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm...... now I remember why I wanted an L67, those guy's aren't douchebags, and they share info to make everyone faster.......

I'm not the "secret society" type

-T
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2007 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
The hidden cave for all 3.4 TDC owners.....

Maybe its just me, but I was thinking that there was also a websight and maybe even another Fiero forum that is frequented by knowlegable people. You'd also think that anyone who grinds cams would be able to help someone who had questions... Maybe I live in my own world. Oh well, here.. Share in the knowledge.

------------------

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I don't care about DOHC motors, but wasn't qwikgta and fierobscessed talking about cams similar to the W41 way back in the day?
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
If someone seriously goes as far as getting in contact with the cam vendor he will have our specs handy. Therefore you will know what we did and you can tweak from there. Furthermore, were all awaiting tuning to make sure that the cams have been worthwhile.

------------------

--180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, chip--
--Check out the Fiero Kingdom!--

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
You definitely need to get the fueling fixed. Max power is had around 13:1 AFR. I run 12:1 with my turbo car just to be safe. I think you will pick up a few HP and be safe with the fix. I am sure Darth can help you out with this.

------------------
62 Buick Special
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo
88 Toyota Supra Turbo
95 BMW M3

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

If no one knows what your specs are, how do we know we're not doing the same work over again? Every little bit of information helps us work to the ultimate goal of the best possible cam specs.

Agreed.
PFF
System Bot
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2007 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
So why don't we all start collaborating!
88GT5.0KILLER
From: Watching a once great nation become a 3rd world slum. The power of stockpiles of ammo.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2007 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT5.0KILLERSend a Private Message to 88GT5.0KILLERDirect Link to This Post
Whats the big deal?

So what no one wants to share.

Build your own Sh!t.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Nice.
Puckhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PuckheadSend a Private Message to PuckheadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GT5.0KILLER:

Whats the big deal?

So what no one wants to share.

Build your own Sh!t.

I present to you......LORD and LADY DOUCHEBAG!!

-T

I guess you use the forum not as a place to share ideas but a place to talk sh!t to large numbers of people.......you are a turd

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
I had a really sweet retort for racingman about how the seller didn't build the car either, but I didn't want to ruin the thread. Looks like that didn't work out too well for me.
bluefiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroDirect Link to This Post
Jeez this thread is getting ridiculus. I just wanted to be able to post some dyno numbers I got and see what they compare to others DOHC motors. No, I did not build or install this motor, or have anything to do with the cams. Originally I was not sure what exactly was done to the motor because I purchased it from someone who bought it from the original owner, so I wanted to compare it. Luckily I now have all of the info on the motor, but promised I would not tell the cam specs. I puchased the car just as it is now, with only minor changes that I have made to it so far (brakes, exhaust, tach, differential), with other things I plan to improve.

Now can this post please get back on topic and please stop flooding it with complaints about how you want the specs. That is not what this topic is for.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bluefiero:

Luckily I now have all of the info on the motor, but promised I would not tell the cam specs.
Now can this post please get back on topic and please stop flooding it with complaints about how you want the specs. That is not what this topic is for.

Sorry but posting a dyno thread generally is also a platform for discussing HOW the power was attained. As mentioned by Fierobsessed, The normal RWHP of a 3.4DOHC powered Fiero is around 175-185 rwhp. A roughly 40 hp gain is excellent, But many who have or are considering doing the swap would like to get the same increase as well or at least experiment too.

I am aware who the previous owner was but I have no idea why he wants to keep such things a secret. But hey, It's now your car now, If you don't want to share the info that is up to you. Personally I beleive in sharing specs and idea's as most forums are for that purpose.

normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post
Hello and well said. Is it possible he just did the 13 degree retard trick, just a thought. Thanks Norm oops spelling

[This message has been edited by normsf (edited 04-12-2007).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

The hidden cave for all 3.4 TDC owners.....

Maybe its just me, but I was thinking that there was also a websight and maybe even another Fiero forum that is frequented by knowlegable people. You'd also think that anyone who grinds cams would be able to help someone who had questions... Maybe I live in my own world. Oh well, here.. Share in the knowledge.

Thanks for the link. That thread is a great resource!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock